Eglise Saint-Pierre de Charaix
26350 Le Charaix
- Drôme
- Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes
The origin of the church dates back to the 11th century as attested by several cartulars of the region. The building underwent many transformations over the centuries. Worship was celebrated there until 1960 and the church was abandoned.
In 2000, the monument was in ruins when «the Association Patrimoine de Saint-Christophe-et-le-Laris» was created in order to safeguard it. The bell tower-porch was restored in 2002, the nave found its frame and roof in 2009, the choir in 2013, the stained glass windows in 2016 and the bay window in 2017.
CORRESPONDENCE FROM A CURE TO HIS FAMILY
From 1902 to 1907, a certain Octave Charbonnel was parish priest of the church and had regular correspondence with his family. It gives a description of the life of the place and its surroundings at that time. Here is a passage from one of these letters.
“22 May 1906 … Last Sunday was the Communion ceremony. A compact crowd from the parish and surrounding areas filled the church. Sixteen different hymns were sun
Etiquetas
Édifice religieux
©Aurélien GUICHET