Visit free of the Tower of Hougue

Access by the Door To the Ladies - Consult the Internet site

© doc. Office de Tourisme du Cotentin

Visits of the tower of Hougue: built from 1694 till 1699 conducted by Benjamin de Combes, "to protect the most beautiful roadstead of France" according to the expression of Vauban, she is registered with her twin sister of Tatihou on the UNESCO, since 2008. She(It) represents a facet of the work of the famous engineer Sébastien Le Prestre: observation and coastal defence. The site of Hougue was incorporated in the Atlantic Wall built by German during the 2nd world war. Access of the site by the door to the Ladies and visit of the Tower Vauban.

About the venue

Accès par la porte aux Dames, 50550 Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue
  • Édifice maritime et fluvial
  • ,
  • Édifice militaire, enceinte urbaine
  • ,
  • Patrimoine mondial de l'UNESCO
  • ,
  • Monument historique

Visites de la tour de la Hougue : édifiée de 1694 à 1699 sous la direction de Benjamin de Combes, pour "protéger la plus belle rade de France" selon l’expression de Vauban, elle est inscrite avec sa sœur jumelle de Tatihou à l’Unesco, depuis 2008. Elle représente une facette de l’œuvre du célèbre ingénieur Sébastien Le Prestre : l’observation et la défense côtière. Le site de la Hougue fut incorporé au mur de l’Atlantique édifié par les allemands lors de la 2e guerre mondiale. Accès du site par la porte aux Dames et visite de la Tour Vauban.