Guided tour of the Château de La Tour d'Aigues and its forgotten gardens

Guided tour of the Château de La Tour d'Aigues and its forgotten gardens

© Département de Vaucluse - Collection du château de La Tour d'Aigues - Gravure A.J Meunier XVIIIe

Guided tour of the Château de La Tour d'Aigues and its forgotten gardens

Françoise Genoulaz, heritage guide. The gardens and the Park of the Castle of La Tour d'Aigues now disappeared have left many traces in the landscape. The different levels of its terraced gardens are still visible from the castle as well as the recently restored orangery walls and arcades. As it is today, the site is a great springboard for the imagination.

About the venue

Château de La Tour d'Aigues 84240 La Tour-d'Aigues
  • Château, hôtel urbain, palais, manoir
  • ,
  • Monument historique

The castle of La Tour d'Aigues in Vaucluse, owned by the General Council, houses since 1987, a museum of earthenware. On the occasion of the restoration work of the castle, carried out by the General Council of Vaucluse, and the archaeological excavations carried out from 1976 to 1980, an important set of ceramics, glassware, pavement tiles was brought to light. La Tour d'Aigues was a pottery production centre during the second half of the 18th century thanks to» Jean-Baptiste-Jérôme BRUNY (1724-1795), owner of the castle. This descendant of a family of the great Marseilles bourgeoisie was a scholar, a lover of natural history, medicine, agronomy and a great lover of art. His entrepreneurial spirit, his curiosity, his taste for applied research led him to try various experiments in the most varied fields: thus he created a pottery in a bastide next to the castle, some of whose productions are in the museum. He surrounded himself with artists, researched engravings that could serve as m

Château de La Tour d'Aigues Musée des Faïences, conseil général de Vaucluse