Visit of the Hotel de Sade

The Hotel de Sade brings together an exciting stratum of historical states. It was originally occupied by a vast thermal complex dating from the 4th century AD.

CMN

The Hotel de Sade brings together an exciting stratum of historical states. It was originally occupied by a vast thermal complex dating from the 4th century AD.

The whole of the buildings of the Hotel de Sade is acquired and classified historical monument by the State, in 1929, under the joint action of Jules Formigé (1879-1960), chief architect of the historical monuments, and Pierre de Brun (1874-1941), founder of the Alpilles Museum, who save him from ruin.
From 1954, under the leadership of Henri Rolland (1887-1970), the Sade Hotel became the excavation depot of the Glanum site whose collections will be presented to the public from 1968.
Today it presents part of the collections of ancient sculptures of Glanum.

About the venue

1 rue du Parage Saint Rémy de Provence
  • Château, hôtel urbain, palais, manoir
  • ,
  • Musée, salle d'exposition
  • ,
  • Monument historique

A concentration of architectures from Antiquity to the Renaissance Balthazar de Sade (1461-1518) built, at the end of the 15th century, a Renaissance style mansion, in the heart of Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, on the site of remarkable civil monuments: Ancient thermal baths, medieval tower and house of Tithe but also religious: churches Notre-Dame-de-la-Tour and Saint-Pierre built in the Middle Ages and chapel of the black penitents built in the modern era. A showcase for Glanum’s collections In 1929, the building was acquired and classified as a historical monument by the State under the joint action of Jules Formigé (1879-1960), chief architect of historical monuments, and Pierre de Brun (1874-1941), founder of the Alpilles museum. From 1954, under the direction of Henri Rolland (1887-1970), the Sade Hotel became the excavation depot of the Glanum site. The collections were presented to the public from 1968\. Glanum’s major antique sculptures are now on display. From the excavation to the