Exhibition "Stories and anecdotes of the Sailing of Fayence in the hangar AAFO (free entry) Flights discovered in tandem Wa30 Bijave ( on inscription140€) The birth of the aerodrome of Fayence takes place by decree of 30 September 1929, signed by the President of the Republic Gaston Doumergue and the Minister of War André Maginot. They declare of public utility the acquisition of several parcels of land for the development of an aerodrome in Fayence.
Between 1940 and 1944 the land of Fayence – Tourrettes was successively occupied by the Italians and the Germans and it was not released by the GI until August 15, 1944.
At the end of the war, the Nice cyclists opted for Fayence, because they were driven out of the Nice airport reserved for commercial aviation. In 1946 the Cannes Vélivoles were expelled from the airport of Cannes – Mandelieu reserved for motor planes. The State assigned them the unused military land of Fayence-Tourrettes and the airfield of Fayence-Tourrettes thus became the reference platform of the Riviera bike.
Since 1977, the aerodrome has been administered by the Syndicat mixte pour l'aménagement et l'exploitation du centre de vol à voile de Fayence-Tourrettes, which delegates the development, maintenance and operation of the ground to the AAPCA. As the A.A.P.C.A is a cycling association, the terrain is reserved for gliding and the aerodrome has become the first European centre for gliding. As such, it generates part of the tourist activity of the municipality and the region, in the reception of French and European users.
About the venue
Aerodrome of Fayence -Tourrettes, located on the two communes. The birth of the airfield of Fayence takes place by decree of September 30, 1929, signed by the President of the Republic Gaston Doumergue and the Minister of War André Maginot. They declare of public utility the acquisition of several parcels of land for the development of an aerodrome in Fayence. Possession of these parcels was declared urgent. On 16 February 1931 the 46 owners signed their deed of sale. In June 1931 and then in April and October 1932, four other owners completed the acquisition by the State of the Fayence aerodrome and it was in winter 1934 that the aerodrome was operational. On June 4, 1937, a new decree ordered the purchase of new land in the commune of Tourrettes, for the purpose of expanding the land. On September 15, 1937 the air base called «Groupe Régional Aéronautique d'Observation no 548 (GAO 548) settles in the town of Fayence. With the observation aircraft ANF Les Mureaux, the pilots had the m