Along the river The village of Chênehutte is essentially constituted by the former parish of Tuffeaux, which stretches between the river and the hill from the first hamlet of the Mimerolle to that of Préban. The small white houses with slate roofs are often former dwellings of perreyeurs who extracted the stone of tuffeau or sailors linked to an intense activity of transport on the Loire, until the railway comes to compete definitively. The beautiful and simple church of the twelfth century, Notre-Dame de la Prée as well as the town hall, former presbytery of the nineteenth century, dominated by the priory, constitute the central landmarks.
On the Plateau The other part of St Pierre parish, which was under the Ancien Régime, is characterized by a scattered habitat on the plateau. This was undoubtedly the site of the first occupations since the Neolithic: the historical traces on the hillside date back more than 2000 years. A fortified oppidum then the creation of a Gallo-Roman agglomeration on this control point of the traffic routes including the passage over the Loire by a bridge confirm this occupation. In the Middle Ages, monks from Saint-Florent-Le-Vieil settled in. It was strictly speaking Chênehutte.
In 1790, as part of the new territorial organization desired by the Constituent Assembly, the two parishes were united to form a single commune: Chênehutte-Lès-Tuffeaux.
About the venue
Tufa church built in the 11th and 12th centuries. From this period date the apse, the bell tower and the side door. The square tower of the bell tower and its twin (twin) bays are typical of Romanesque art. The side door retains its triple archivolt decorated with water leaves and sawteeth. In 1837, following the regrouping of populations after the revolution, the Saumur architect Joly-Leterme made the enlargement of the church respecting the structure of the old building. The West door is dismantled stone by stone, then inserted into the new masonry. Its name comes from the fact that originally the Loire flowing further north, a meadow extended in front of it. The nave appears low because the ground has been aligned with the level of the road. The church has typical 19th century furniture. One can admire in the choir the two votive candles of sailors and perreyeurs.