Opening for European Heritage Days

Chapel, vegetable garden, park around La Devansaye

ghislaine de jourdan

Chapel, vegetable garden, park around La Devansaye

The chapel of Saint René

In 2023, thanks to the "heritage foundation" label, the roof of the chapel was completely redone. This chapel was built in 1871 by Joseph de La Perraudière and his wife Clotilde de La Devansaye to welcome in his cellar Auguste de La Devansaye, painter and one of the first Angevin photographers. It is still in operation for baptisms, communions and family burials.
Extracts from a note by Etienne Vacquet, curator of heritage: "The chapel of La Devansaye belongs to an artistic movement that took its expansion from the archaeological congress of Saumur in 1862: the neo-plantagenet... The original plan, the treatment of exterior plasters, the careful care given to sculpture and painting distinguish this chapel from many other achievements, giving it an interesting place in the architectural creation of the nineteenth century"

The vegetable garden

Completely walled this vegetable garden of one hectare is still in vegetable, floral and fruit activity since its creation in 1875. Today it also houses a collection of 51 pear varieties, 62 apple varieties as well as 250 rose varieties and in season more than 60 tomato varieties. The house "of the gardener" dating from the creation of the vegetable garden is chained in the east wall.

The park

Of about twenty hectares it was designed between 1843 and 1846 by André Leroy at the request of Auguste de La Devansaye. Its trees and in particular its oaks several hundred years are exceptional.

The castle of La Devansaye

The successive centuries are read on the whole building that constitutes the castle. The oldest part with its tower dates from the sixteenth century and was first rehabilitated in the eighteenth. Then the nineteenth comes to bring its footprint first of all with an important south wing and its new tower of pure neo-renaissance style then the north wing was enriched with a neo-classical contribution quite consequent.
Also around 1850 were built the stables and the workshop of painter and photographer of Auguste de La Devansaye. Barns and commons conclude the whole.
The visit is free and the owners are available to the public for more information.