Take a guided tour of one of the most remarkable churches in Eastern France and the largest classical church in the Marne

European Heritage Days 2023

©Noel Sellier

Take part in the guided tour of the collegiate church.

About the venue

Place d'Armes, 51300 Vitry-le-François
  • Édifice religieux
  • ,
  • Monument historique

In the city based(established) in 1545 by François Ier, who gave him(her,it) his name and his weapons after complete destruction by Charles the Fifth of the old(former) medieval fortified town of Vitry-en-Perthois, a first church with wooden pieces was built, dedicated in 1557\. Canons' middle school(Canons' college) of Vitry-en-Perthois, based(established) by Blanche de Navarre in 1212, settles down in the building in 1586\. Construction of collegiate Notre-Dame of much larger and quite stone, current Assumption, begins in 1629 on the same site and will end in 1898\. Louis XIV will attend it masses celebrated by Bossuet. In Revolution, she(it) is vandalized then converted into store of provender before being restored to worship(cult) in 1795\. In 1914, the church made service(office) of hospital and welcomes 700 wounded persons. The bombardments of 1940 and 1944, which are going to destroy the city in 90 %, harm it seriously, but she still stands; his(her,its) restoration(catering) will spread out until 1960\. The facade in two tours(towers,ballots) and the inside are of classic style. Around a central nave, both shoulders receive 13 chapels and of remarkable retables of the XVIIth and XVIIIth centuries. The great organ is exceptional: built by 1740, it is listed(classified) in conformance with(for) historic monuments since 1963\.

Access: Access on the side, street Dominated by Verzet (facade in works) - free Parking lot nearby

Collégiale Notre-Dame de l'Assomption ©OT Lac du Der