An exhibition of photos traces the successive stages of the rebirth of these works, from the secrets of their composition to the completion of their restoration allowing their permanent presentation to the public.
About the venue
The bell tower, classified as a Historical Monument in 1841, is the only vestige of the Romanesque church of the second quarter of the 12th century. It is the knight Burkhard of Gueberschwihr, founder of the abbey of Marbach, who is undoubtedly at its origin. The rest of the building was rebuilt between 1874 and 1878 under the guidance of architect Jean-Baptiste Schacre Sr (1808-1876). He drew up the plans in a neo-Romanesque style, with a lot of rigour and a great concern for harmony with the ancient tower of the XIIth century preserved.