Established in the 13th century in the faubourg then called Saint-Jean-de-Mazel, the Carmelites built their chapel there at the beginning of the 15th century. At that time, the city was under the authority of the Dukes of Burgundy whose art was at its peak. Of the chapel, only the choir remains today, the nave having been destroyed by the Gros family around 1800. Its acquisition by the City in 1969 enabled the expansion of City Hall and the library. The large window with a flamboyant Gothic-style replacement, visible from Rue de Lyon, as well as the carved stone capitals, accessible from the library’s lending room, bear witness, in a very fragmentary way, the richness of Burgundian sculpture at this end of the Middle Ages.
About the venue
The Chalons/Saône Public Adult Library has occupied part of the former Court House since 1845\. One can admire in the current study room woodwork made in the eighteenth century for the library of the Abbey of Ferté. A celestial globe and a terrestrial globe of the eighteenth century, both manuscripts, complete the decoration. The lending room is installed in the choir of the old chapel of the Carmelites. The library houses collections from the revolutionary confiscations, including the libraries of the abbeys of La Ferté-sur-Grosne and Maizière. The adult library is located in the courtyard of the Hotel-de-Ville. At the reception you will find a relaxing place and a press corner. The comic book space is located on a mezzanine that overlooks the current collections among which we can find novels, texts read (book-CD), documentaries…
Access: The Adult Heritage Library is located in the courtyard of the City Hall