The House of Aldermen is a place of accommodation for researchers and personalities of the world of arts coming to work in Cluny.
Governed by the association Cluny de la Paix - Maison des Échevins, it is also dedicated to the promotion of arts and peace.
This place of reception, exhibition, concerts and training can be rented on request.
About the venue
The small history of the Aldermen’s house begins in 1450, when 3 inhabitants of Cluny contribute to buy a house opposite the church of Blessed Saint Mary of the Panels (Church of Our Lady). This house (perhaps the House of Dragons...) had an ideal central location to make it the Common House, and according to the terms used, to keep the archives, lay down arms and make brotherhood there; the act of sale is dated 20/2/1451\. But this acquisition of independence did not suit the abbots of the time: Abbé Eude de la Perrière, then Abbé Jean de Bourbon, took this initiative as a counter-power and brought proceedings. The aldermen are obliged to sell this house and must store their weapons elsewhere. It was not until 1619 that the abbey’s opposition was lifted and that the Town Hall moved into this house at no. 22\. The Aldermen represent the corporations of Cluny, each trade proposes representatives (about forty) the sessions are presided by a monk of the abbey, who controls what happens th
Access: Parking on the alley of the whip, presence of stairs