The Maison St Joseph has a long history: from an aristocratic castle (18th century) where one of the former owners was a friend of Sissi the Empress, to a reception center for groups and individuals from all walks of life, the site has seen many people and has undergone many transformations. Today these places full of history host a religious community (the Spiritans), a reception center, a museum of African arts, and a sanctuary dedicated to St Joseph. We offer four tours of about 1 hour in the afternoon, accompanied by community members residing on site.
About the venue
The Maison St Joseph d'Allex has a long history: 18th century castle built by the La Tour du Pin family, the property was bought and considerably developed by the Congregation of the Holy Spirit in 1920, which made it a minor seminary for the formation of missionaries, backed by a sanctuary dedicated to St Joseph. Cultivating values of hospitality, openness to the other different from themselves, Spiritans are border runners, who strive to create bridges between different cultures and sensitivities, as here in Allex through the Welcome project (groups and individuals) and the Spiritan Museum of African Arts, witness to the long history of the congregation on the continent.
Access: Private parking on site (limited number of places), or otherwise at the St Joseph area at the foot of the village (municipal parking)