Free visit of the exterior of the Plain-Marais castle

Discovery of the exteriors and some rooms.

© Guillaume d'Aigneaux

Located on the passage of the Roman road linking Bayeux (Augustodurum) to Portbail (Grannorum), this stronghold ensured the defense of the marsh and its inhabitants as part of the coastal defense plan. It was reinforced by Admiral John of Vienna during the See of Saint Saviour in 1374, and fiercely disputed between Normans and English during the English occupation of Normandy. The origins are very old, and refer to the existence of the Roman road passing at the end of the avenue and constituting the perimeter of the domain itself. The surrounding walls seem to have been built on the site of a Roman camp (the dimensions are quite similar). High walls and dry ditches that fill depending on the flooding of the marshes or triggered, 15 meters wide, 5 high, surround the entire property. The facade is decorated with balusters, and makes think of an Italian decoration type "return from Italy". On the other three sides, there are pools. The four ends of the walls are made up of square towers with scaffolding. Only access to the inside of the enclosure, an old seventeenth century drawbridge. The buildings are the base of a strong house, the house was remodeled in the seventeenth, flanked by two fifteenth turrets and two wings in square.

About the venue

Château de Plain-Marais, 50360 Beuzeuville-la-Bastille
  • Château, hôtel urbain, palais, manoir
  • ,
  • Édifice militaire, enceinte urbaine
  • ,
  • Monument historique

Located on the passage of the Roman way connecting(binding) Bayeux (Augustodurum) in Portbail (Grannorum), this fortified town assured(insured) the defence of the marsh and its inhabitants as part of the plan of defence of coast(ribs). Reinforced by the admiral Jean of Vienna(Vienne) during the seat(siege) of saint Sauveur in 1374, and one fiercely competed for for it between Normans and Englishman(English people) during the English activity(occupation) of Normandy it was. Origins show themselves very old(former), and refer to the existence of the Roman way passing at the end of the avenue and establishing(constituting) the perimetre(scope) of the very domain. The walls of surrounding wall(speaker) seem to have been built in the location of a Roman camp (dimensions(size) are rather similar). High walls and dry ditches(gaps) which fill(perform) according to the inundation of marshes or activated(started), 15 metres wide, tops of 5, surround all property. The facade is decorated with balusters, and reminded in a typical Italian-style decoration "return of Italy". On three other sides, presence of ponds. Four ends of walls are established(constituted) of towers squared in bartizans. Only access inside the surrounding wall(speaker), an old(former) drawbridge the XVIIth century. Buildings(Ships) are the base(basis) of a strong house, the home was altered in the XVIIth century, flanked(thrown) of two turrets the XVth century and of two wings in carpenter's square.

Château de Plain-Marais © Château de Plain-Marais