Sugerir un cambio en el lugarBibliothèque Smith-Lesouëf (Fondation des Artistes)
14 bis rue Charles VII 94130 Nogent-sur-Marne
Val-de-Marne
Île-de-France
Located at 14 bis rue Charles VII in Nogent-sur-Marne, the Smith-Lesouëf Library was built between 1913 and 1917 at the request of the Smith sisters, in order to accommodate the collections of their bibliophile uncle, Auguste Lesouëf. In 1906, the famous bibliophile Auguste Lesouëf died, bequeathing to his sister and nieces, the sisters Jeanne and Madeleine Smith, the entirety of his collection consisting of 18,000 works including very rare manuscripts and incunabula. After the death of their mother, the Smith sisters decided in 1913 to build a building to preserve these works and to bequeath the collection to the National Library of France. Built in the middle of the First World War, this library presents a unique architecture, mixing old decorations recovered from buildings of the Ancien régime and innovative devices, such as its floors and glass zenith ceilings. The Library opened its doors to the public in 1919 under the name "Bibliothèque Smith-Lesouëf" and was managed by the National Library of France until the 1980s, when the collections moved to the central reserves. After joining the endowment of the Artists' Foundation, the building now houses the books of the former residents of the National House of Artists, as well as a collection of furniture and art objects (miniatures, furniture, santons, drawings or sculptures) of Auguste Lesouëf, deposited in 2019 at the Fondation des Artistes by the Bibliothèque nationale de France. The Smith-Lesouëf Library has obtained the labels of Heritage of Regional Interest and House of Illustrious.
Etiquetas
Maison des illustres, Beaux-Arts, Histoire i Insolites
Acceso
Opening according to the schedule ([www.fondationdesartistes.fr](http://www.fondationdesartistes.fr)) Access: RER A: Nogent-sur-Marne then bus 114 or 210 - Sous-Préfecture RER stop E: Nogent-Le Perreux then direction Tribunal d'instance Métro ligne 1: Château de Vincennes then bus 114 or 210 - Stop Sous-Préfecture The Smith-Lesouëf library is not accessible to wheelchair users (presence of an old staircase).

© Stéphane Pons / éditions In Fine / Fondation des Artistes